PRIVACY STATEMENT for
Sligo Leitrim Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) Greenway Project:
Who are we?
Leitrim County Council (the Council) is the democratically elected unit of Local Government in County Leitrim and is responsible for providing a range of services to meet the economic, social and cultural needs of the people of our County. In order to provide the most effective and targeted services to meet the needs of the citizens, communities and businesses of County Leitrim we will be required to collect, process and use certain types of information about people and organisations. Depending on the service being offered, information sought may include ‘personal data’ as defined by the Data Protection Acts and the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and may relate to current, past and future service users; past; current and prospective employees; suppliers; and members of the public who may engage in communications with our staff. In addition, staff may be required, from time to time, to collect process and use certain types of personal data to comply with regulatory or legislative requirements or to carry out functions in the public interest.
Why do we have a Privacy Statement?
This privacy statement has been created to demonstrate the Council’s commitment to you that personal data which you may be required to supply to us, to enable us to provide services, is;
- Obtained lawfully, fairly and in a transparent manner
- Obtained for only specified, identified and legitimate purposes
- Processed for purposes which we have identified or purposes compatible with the purposes that we have identified.
- Adequate, relevant and limited to what is necessary for the purpose for which it was obtained
- Is collected and processed accurately and kept up to date (where necessary)
- Kept only for as long as is necessary for the purposes for which it was obtained.
- Processed in a manner that ensures the appropriate security of the personal data including protection against unauthorised or unlawful processing.
More detail is available in our Data Protection Policy
You can request a hard copy at 071 9620005.
What is the activity referred to in this Privacy Statement?
This statement refers to the processing of personnel data in respect to the delivery of the proposed Sligo Leitrim Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) Greenway Project under the Transport Infrastructure Ireland (TII) Project Management Guidelines including Phase 1 – Concept and Feasibility, Phase 2 – Option Selection, Phase 3 – Design and Environmental Evaluation, Phase 4 – Statutory Processes and Phase5 – Enabling and Procurement of the Project to Construction of the proposed Sligo Leitrim Northern Railway (SLNCR) Greenway Project.
What is the basis for making the processing of this personal data lawful?
Processing is necessary for the performance of a task carried out in the public interest or in the exercise of official authority vested in Leitrim County Council in accordance with Article 6(1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulation, 2016. Specifically, the lawful basis for the procedures is listed below
- Planning & Development Act 2000 (as amended)
- Planning & Development Regulations 2001 (as amended) (Part 8)
- Section 66 (3) of the Local Government 2001 (as amend)
- Section 78 Roads Act 1993
- The legal basis and scope of services for the project is outlined in SLNCR Sligo to Enniskillen Greenway Project Technical Consultancy Services Contract (September 2022) between Ove Arup & Partners Ireland t/a Arup and Leitrim County Council which is in accordance with TII Project Management Guidelines Phases 1-5. (TII Publications – Project Managers Manual For Greenway Projects – PE-PMG-02047 July 2022.)
- The Irish Government – ‘Programme for Government: Our Shared Island’ – report dated 29th October 2020, gives a commitment on page 104 to “ Work with the Northern Ireland Executive to deliver key cross-border infrastructure initiatives, including the A5, the Ulster Canal connection from Clones to Upper Lough Erne, the Narrow Water Bridge, and cross-border greenways, in particular the Sligo-Enniskillen Greenway (subject to feasibility)”
- In a Northern Ireland Executive policy context; a map showing the Sligo Enniskillen Greenway referenced as Cross Border Greenway continuation is shown in the November 2016 Department of Infrastructure document – A Strategic Plan for Greenways
- MEMORANDUM OF UNDERSTANDING BETWEEN LEITRIM COUNTY COUNCIL AND FERMANAGH AND OMAGH DISTRICT COUNCIL FOR THE FEASIBILITY ASSESSMENT, AND POSSIBLE DEVELOPMENT AND PROMOTION, OF A GREENWAY BETWEEN SLIGO, CO SLIGO AND ENNISKILLEN, CO FERMANAGH
Other documents considered in the course of processing of data
- Code of best Practice National and Regional Greenways – December 2021
- Strategy for the Future Development of National and Regional Greenways prepared by Department of Tourism, Transport and Sport (DTTAS) July 2018
- Climate Action Plan 2021
- National Investment Framework for Transport in Ireland – December 2021
- Action Plan for Rural Development – November 2018
- Irish Government Commitments ‘New Decade, New Approach’ document published in January 2020 on the restoration of devolved government in Northern Ireland. Refer to Appendix B – Irish Government Commitments
(Connectivity & Infrastructure – Page 59)
What categories of personal data is held by Leitrim County Council?
Details of owners, occupiers and lessees of the land requirement for the proposed Sligo Leitrim Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) Greenway Project and anyone who may have an interest in the land necessary for the development of the proposed Sligo Leitrim Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) Project. Personal data includes names, addresses, email address, land Folio numbers, PPSN No, National Insurance No and mobile phone numbers.
Is personal data submitted as part of this activity shared with other organisations?
The Council may, to fulfil statutory or regulatory obligations or in the public interest, from time to time, have to share personal data with other organisations or entities (in Ireland, Fermanagh & Omagh District Council in Northern Ireland or abroad). Where this is required the Council shall have regard to your rights, to the security and integrity of the data and will minimise the data shared.
Where it is necessary to share such information, we will enter into a Data Processing Agreement with our appointed Consulting Engineers for project and Data Sharing Agreement with Fermanagh & Omagh District Council, Northern Ireland. For the purpose of the proposed Sligo Leitrim Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) Greenway Project, personal data may be shared with our technical advisors (Ove Arup & Partners Ireland t/a Arup Consulting Engineers), legal advisors, land valuers and other retained experts.
Data is NOT transferred to another country except for our partners on this project Fermanagh & Omagh District Council in Northern Ireland.
Submissions, Observations & Objections
Please note that objections, submissions or observations made as part of a public consultation process in respect of the proposed Sligo Leitrim Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) Greenway Project will be made available for public inspection. It is envisaged that this proposed Sligo Leitrim Northern Counties Railway (SLNCR) Greenway Project will go to An Bord Pleanála for Planning approval.
How long is my data kept for?
The Council has a detailed record retention policy which outlines time periods for which your personal data will be retained and what will happen to it after the required retention period has expired. A copy of Record Retention Policy can be accessed via the following link.
Do you need to update your records?
Leitrim County Council must take reasonable steps to ensure that personal data we have about our customers is correct and up to date.
In addition, if the data held by us is found to be inaccurate you have the right to rectify/correct this.
If you find that personal data we have about you is inaccurate or needs to be updated (for instance, you may have changed your name, address, contact details etc.) then please contact us so that we can correct it. You can do this by:
Writing to us at: Leitrim County Council, Áras an Chontae, Carrick-on-Shannon, Co. Leitrim. N41PF67
Emailing us at: email@example.com
When making a request to update your record please provide evidence to support this – for example a copy of a document containing your new address – utility (Gas, Electricity, Phone) bill etc.
You have the right to obtain confirmation as to whether data concerning you exists, to request access to personal data held about you, to be informed of the content and source of data and check its accuracy.
If the data held by us is found to be inaccurate you have the right to rectify/correct this – see above on how to update your records.
You also, subject to certain conditions being met, have the right to object to or seek restriction of the processing of personal data and to request the erasure of personal data held by the Council. You also have the right to data portability where technically feasible.
Please note that to help protect your privacy, we take steps to verify your identity before granting access to personal data.
To exercise these rights please contact us.
Leitrim County Council – Data Protection Officer
Áras an Chontae,
Right of Complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner
If you are not satisfied with the outcome of the response received by the Council you are entitled to make a complaint to the Data Protection Commissioner who may investigate the matter for you. The Data Protection Commissioner’s website is http://www.dataprotection.ie or you can contact their Office at:
Lo Call Number
Data Protection Commissioner,
21 Fitzwilliam Square South,
Changes to Privacy Statement
We may make changes to this Statement. If we make any changes they will be posted on this page, and we will change the “Last Updated” date below.
LAST UPDATED ON 4th November 2022 by Brendan Mc Kenna (Chartered Engineer)